With the term infertility, we mean the impossibility of conception after 12 months of frequent and free of contraception sexual intercourse.
It is quite common for couples to face fertility issues. It is also said that 15% of the population deals with matters of such nature.
When we say infertility, we mean the impossibility of conception, after a year of very frequent and free intercourse. Nevertheless, science keeps evolving, and as a result, infertility is no longer an unknown field for doctors and couples.
It is true that it might regard both women as well as men. When a couple decides to take advantage of the specialty of assisted reproduction, the following must be valid:
- The couple must be trying to conceive for at least 12 consecutive months, but when a woman is over 36 the same period is deteriorated to 6 to 8 months.
- History of Miscarriages.
- Frequency of sexual intercourse, every two or three days during a month.
Women infertility: why?
Conception becomes reality when ovaries, fallopian tubes and the uterus are in a healthy condition. There are many factors able to distort the procedure of human reproduction, such as:
- distortion in the function or approachability of fallopian tubes (endo- pelvic commissure, chronic infections, hydrothorax)
- distortion of ovulation
- premature ovary deficiency
- polycystic ovaries syndrome
- hypothalamic dysfunction
- prolactin hyperproduction
- congenital malfunctions of the uterus
- other factors or everyday habits, such as smoking, stress, fatigue, being underweight.
In general, when a couple fails to conceive after a year of regular sexual contacts, they are considered infertile and they should consult a specialist in fertility issues.